People often ask, ―”Why is it called ‘Free’ School?” The answer probably lies in the origins of the first school to be built in the village. This was in 1723 when a school was built on land leased for nine years belonging to Mr. John Gape. It was situated ―contiguous to the churchyard‖, probably in Vicarage Lane. The master was to give instruction to his scholars in reading, writing and arithmetic.
In 1796 there were three schools in the village – the original school near the churchyard and two Dame Schools. In 1822 the lease referred to above expired. The proprietor of the land was unwilling to renew the lease or otherwise let the premises to the trustees. Instead he offered them a new site and the materials of the old schoolhouse and eventually in 1827 a new building was erected. In 1837 as well as the main school there were three preparatory schools in Sibsey.
In 1869 the present building was constructed by Mr. Samuel Sherwin of Boston at a cost of £565 and at the same time the schoolhouse for the master was erected at a cost of £282. The school was designed by Mr. Kirk of Sleaford and the first headmaster was Mr. Wood.
The maintenance of the school building remained under the charge of the Trustees as an Aided School until 1992 when the Local Education Authority took over control and became responsible for the upkeep and repairs. 1996 saw the beginning of the long overdue refurbishment with the start of an extensive new building programme which was completed in September 1997. Since 1997 two more classrooms have been added to help with the rapid growth in pupil numbers. (The school has doubled in size since 1996.)
In 2006 the Governors approved the building of a log cabin which now houses the BrightSparks Playgroup and associated breakfast, after school and holiday clubs. There is a very close working relationship between the school and the BrightSparks group which enhances the transition for the children between the two settings.